- Building Evaluations
As authorized by City Council, Osborne Architects, Inc. (OAI) completed a Building Assessments and Evaluation report for six structures: the Nyholm Windmill, the barn at City Hall Campus, the Nelson Nature Park Garage, and the Barn, Residence and Garage at the Nelson Farm Park. This report is a reconnaissance level, “first look” visual survey where only descriptive information is collected about the buildings – further evaluation will be necessary before any action is taken. A draft of this report was reviewed with the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board in June (you can watch the meeting here) where several citizens made comment and shared their concerns.
To address any concerns about the city’s intentions, the city has no plan or budget to demolish or remove any of the structures that were evaluated, and the OAI Assessment does not identify any structures as being beyond repair. City staff is currently preparing to review OAI’s recommendations with the City Council this fall, looking for Council’s priorities to ensure any associated costs are considered in the 2024 annual budgeting process. The current status of each structure is summarized as follows:
- The Nyholm Windmill: Staff is in discussion with the current apparent owner of the structure, East Pierce Fire and Rescue, to determine ownership/maintenance responsibilities and next steps. As the City does not own the structure, there are no planned actions at this time.
- The City Hall Gray Barn: OAI found this structure to be “in good condition” and it is currently in use for storage purposes. There are no planned actions at this time, pending Council review.
- The Nelson Nature Park Garage: OAI found this structure to be of low historical significance and in need of roof reconditioning. It is currently in use for storage purposes, but the upper floor (loft) is not accessible and does not meet current codes. Staff is working to remediate the roof moss issues, and no further actions are planned at this time, pending Council review.
- The Nelson Farm Park Residence: This structure is not accessible, shows evidence of weathering and deferred maintenance. OAI recommends roof and gutter replacement, and the best use is “to leave the building as a residence.” Staff is working to repair the furnace and maintain the roof and gutter systems, with no further actions are planned at this time, pending Council review.
- The Nelson Farm Park Garage: OAI found this structure to “not offer a lot… in a historical context”, having some structural issues (leaning walls) that could be remedied. It is currently used for storage by the field lessee and community garden volunteers, but its safety is questionable at best. There are no planned actions at this time, pending Council review.
- The Nelson Farm Park Red Barn: This structure is in use as a working barn and storage, listed on the Washington State Heritage Barn Registry, and is in fair condition. There are no planned actions at this time, pending Council review.
To read the report, CLICK HERE.