- Public Works
- Surface Water Management
- Protect the Environment
Protect the Environment
Small changes can make a big difference. Here are some suggestions of what you and your family can do:
- Read 10 ways to improve the quality of stormwater runoff (PDF) - simple things you can do at home.
- Washing your car at home can contribute to surface water pollution, and here's how (PDF). Instead, consider going to a local car wash, or try to wash your car in a grassed area that doesn't drain directly to the stormwater system.
- Think Twice (PDF) before using pesticides on your property.
- Try controlling pests and weeds using Natural Lawn Care techniques (PDF).
- Plan Before You Plant - Think sustainable landscaping!
- Learn how mulch is important in creating healthy soils (PDF).
- Follow these simple tips on how to Water Wisely (PDF).
- Use these water-saving tips to save $100's and 1,000's of gallons of water in the summer with a garden makeover.
- Check the Washington State Department of Ecology's website to find out what you can do to protect Washington's waters!
- Pierce County has some great options for Recycling and Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste.
Fish-Friendly Car Wash Kit
Are you planning a fundraising car wash (PDF), or are you a business owner who allows fundraising car wash events on your property? Did you know that car wash events (PDF) cause surface water pollution? Good News, Edgewood has a free Car Wash Kit (PDF) (for use at events held within City limits).
Benefits of the Kit
Using the car wash kit helps to protect our lakes, streams, and Puget Sound. For more information about the impacts of pollution on Puget Sound, visit the Washington Department of Ecology's website. In case the kit is not a viable option for your group, please consider these Alternative Car Wash ideas!
Apply for the Kit
Everything you need is included in the kit, except the phosphate free, biodegradable soap, sponges, towels - and your volunteers, of course! An application and signed agreement is required to check out the kit. Contact City Hall at 253-952-3299 to find out how to borrow the kit for your event.